Juried International Exhibition
Mokuhanga & Nara
CALL FOR ENTRIES
2021 Juried Exhibition — Sumi-Fusion: International Mokuhanga Exhibition
As one of its central events, the International Mokuhanga Conference 2021 is very pleased to announce a call for entries for Sumi-Fusion: International Mokuhanga Exhibition, which will be both an online show, and will potentially take place from December 1 to 4, 2021, at Nara Prefectural Cultural Hall.
While the conference itself is themed around the concept of sumi and its versatility in water-based woodblock printing (mokuhanga), and the presence of black and its relation to color, the juried exhibition will celebrate classic applications of mokuhanga, as well as contemporary fusions and new approaches to this historic art within the wider disciplinary world of print-media and contemporary art.
Several prizes will be awarded for outstanding prints. Prizes to be announced.
- CALL FOR ENTRIES: June 1, 2021
- APPLICATION OPEN: June 1, 2021
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: August 1, 2021 (midnight Japan time)
- RESULTS: August 31, 2021
- RECEIPT OF SELECTED WORKS to Japan: by October 1, 2021
- Leonie Bradley (Editor Printmaking Today / Artist / UK)
- Claire Cuccio PhD (Independent Scholar / Lecturer / Japan+US)
- Hiroko Furuya (Professor, Tama Art University / Japan)
- Takuji Hamanaka (Artist / US+Japan)
- Kari Laitinen (Former Senior Lecturer / Aalto University / Finland)
- Yasu Shibata (Master Printer, PACE Editions / US+Japan)
- Annu Vertanen (Professor, Academy of Fine Arts / Finland)
This exhibition is open to artists worldwide. We invite applicants to submit up to four prints created within the last three years, using water-based woodblock print (mokuhanga), which may feature sumi printing techniques. Up to two works may be selected for the exhibition. Please familiarise yourself with the notes below.
A list of artists selected for the Juried Exhibition 2021 will be posted on the IMA website.