Juried International Exhibition
Mokuhanga & Nara
CALL FOR ENTRIES – Entry deadline extended to 31 July midnight
2021 Juried Exhibition — Sumi-Fusion: International Mokuhanga Exhibition
As one of its central events, the International Mokuhanga Conference 2021 is very pleased to announce a call for entries for Sumi-Fusion: International Mokuhanga Exhibition, which will be both an online show, and will potentially take place from December 1 to 4, 2021, at Nara Prefectural Cultural Hall.
While the conference itself is themed around the concept of sumi and its versatility in water-based woodblock printing (mokuhanga), and the presence of black and its relation to color, the juried exhibition will celebrate classic applications of mokuhanga, as well as contemporary fusions and new approaches to this historic art within the wider disciplinary world of print-media and contemporary art.
Awards for outstanding prints:
- MI-LAB AIR Program Award. $500 subsidy on participation in a basic training program at Lake Kawaguchi, Japan
- Constellation Studios Award. Two-week residency in Lincoln, Nebraska, US
- Washi Arts Award. $500 of handmade Japanese paper for mokuhanga printmaking
- Awagami Paper Award. $300 of AWAGAMI Editioning Paper (50 sheets)
- Keiko Kadota Award for the Advancement of Mokuhanga
- CALL FOR ENTRIES: June 1, 2021
- APPLICATION OPEN: June 1, 2021
- APPLICATION DEADLINE: Extended to July 31, 2021 (midnight Japan time)!!
- RESULTS: August 15, 2021
- RECEIPT OF SELECTED WORKS to Japan: by October 1, 2021
- Leonie Bradley (Editor Printmaking Today / Artist / UK)
- Hiroko Furuya (Professor, Tama Art University / Japan)
- Takuji Hamanaka (Artist / US+Japan)
- Kari Laitinen (Former Senior Lecturer / Aalto University / Finland)
- Yasu Shibata (Master Printer, PACE Editions / US+Japan)
- Annu Vertanen (Professor, Academy of Fine Arts / Finland)
This exhibition is open to artists worldwide. We invite applicants to submit up to four prints created within the last three years, using water-based woodblock print (mokuhanga), which may feature sumi printing techniques. Up to two works may be selected for the exhibition. Please familiarise yourself with the notes below.
A list of artists selected for the Juried Exhibition 2021 will be posted on the IMA website.